Thursday, January 1, 2009

010109 The Good, Bad & Ugly









I just dunno, what's wrong today. Not a bad feeling. I didn't get out of bed on the wrong side. Not even a bad omen but my sixth sense is tingling.
For starters, we had changes in in the RV point. Back & fourth, back & fourth. Neither here nor there, maybe in the Toilet Zone. One day it's some near what restaurant, today it's in my town. The next minute it's there again. SMS flying around. Got me agitated. Finally after much snorting like a stuffed pig, we sorta congregated unofficially in front of the delivery hotel. Then all wanted to pee, moved about again to the belated Projet.
Shahrul, his brudder, Fahmi, his friend, Ajis, Zack Graphic, Apai, Daoh Darko, Sham Dewa & yours truly, not before some more punctures again from Apai & Sham Dewa at my place earlier. 2 huge explosions that ruptured 2 tyres. Zack, you're not supposed to karate them.
We had to change the front wheel altogether. Lucky for Apai, I had a spare 105 that made his bike into MJ (Black & white).
Apai nearly abandoned riding today. The frustration runs deep...really deep...

Then we saw this marshal on a motorbike whizzing by followed by rempit road riders! Duh! Why are they so damn in a hurry?
Shahrul said we'd better wait for the MTB group, its the end of the peloton...uh? All I could see was Nasrul lagging at the tail end. Oh brother...
So we just rode until we reached Rinching towards Jln. Enam Kaki, Zack decided to wake up & get off the slumber. Both of us sped. Caught up with the polka dot jersey, a few dots of riders here & there & 5 minutes before the 1st check point, like a mirage, I could see Hwa's FUJI carb sun's reflection.
I noticed quite a turnout of pro & state riders, no wonder the speed. Some of them stared at us as if we're primates from another jungle. Darwin says we're from the same species. He's an idiot.
No wonder bananas were left on the windscreen. Evolution? No...



DeVolution yes - the idea that instead of evolving, mankind has actually regressed,
as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of human society.

Sham Dewa & Fahmi have disappeared into oblivion. Riding like the storm beneath the wings. Of course, Sham Dewa donned a new set of jerseys...CSC. The aerodynamics of the Baju pro, made him laju pun macam pro. Berlagak lah tu...



Off we go again after getting bloated from a few bottles of pipe water. What the heck...lemme give it a shot. If I could follow, I'll follow...If I can't, there's still humans some far back from me. He he.
Half of the gang decided to follow suit. Zooming like a pocket rocket till Apai just needed a leak in Nilai town. Daoh who was so engrossed with the ride nearly missed us. My left claf was twitching. Got into the loo & splashed it with cool water, so goes my head too. Forgot to take a teaspoon of apple vinegar, supposedly helps us from getting cramps. Plainly, should train more at high speeds.

Met Cikgu Hisham & his gang somewhere in Nilai, no wonder I didn't see them here with us. They got fed-up waiting I suppose. The ride was half an hour late. So much for that. Zack Graphic hates late comers, he'll never ever wait for you.

Onwards to Salak Tinggi was a breeze, the usual 123 steep Salak Tinggi hill upon De Palma Hotel ,Ajis had to stop a while. Apai got infected too...50 metres later. I sat all the way uphill, so no twitching muscles. Turned back 10 metres to support Daoh & Hwa. We stopped at a bus stop to wait for Md Noor Balung Ayam Merah. He rode alone to Sepang earlier & rendezvous with us in Salak Tinggi . Somewhere along Jenderam Hilir all riders took a break gobbling away ice cream from a moto vendor. Shahrul made so much noise until all the guys looked at him, mouth wide open, saliva seeping out. Hwa was busy showing off his tights. We ended in a coconut husk/shell garage, some riders have ran out of water!









Nasrul was late but he arrived eventually. Only 2 minutes of rest for him, we were already moving. Sorry brudder, that's the rule of the game, no pain no gain. I didn't wanna wait anymore. Just followed rhythm, all the way to Unikeb. Hwa exploded his tube yet another. Fahmi & the marshal went over to help, we cycled back home. Fahmi's tale here.

The good part that came out of the ride:
I pushed myself to the limit. never in my wildest dreams I'd be cranking with such a big ratio 53-15 gears. Mad or what I dunno. But I did it in a period of 15km, I was pushing at a menacing 40-43kph! Whoa! As we left Jalan Kpg Enam Kaki, hell broke loose. I was tailing the 2nd peloton when Zack Graphic popped out of nowhere & overtook us. Not wanting to be left behind, er ...actually I was also testing myself if I could follow the leading peloton. I grabbed the chance, stood up & sprinted to catch the flow. We caught them! Oh yeah,15 km of high octane, endorphins splurging (No I didn't have dog meat for dinner), heart pumping to the rate of 188 bpm. Luckily I didn't bonk. I get to overtake the polka dot jersey 4 times! Eventually I left him behind in Jenderam. There's no looking back after that.
Nasrul finished the ride! "Saya last Abg. Man". So what the heck? U have riders with bling-bling megabucks wheelers taking the sweeper. Be proud brudder! Even though your bike's aint shinin', u didn't cheat. U got guts. Not like some show off jerk. Pakalolo? Chineklli?
The marshals were great together with their awesome BIG bikes, betul2 "BADONGA & NALLA" bikes. Must give credit to them. Not a junction without them. They're very concern about our safety. U got a brown hair chick tagging along on a truck in case of emergency. Loads of cars too, bike rack ready. Hats off to them.

The bad:

People gets left behind.
Is it a race or is it not? I thought I was supposed to be a kind of a group ride. But right from the start, you've got a pack of riders, ridin like there's no tomorrow. We stopped twice. For the 2nd pit stop, some were out of H2O & so was the organizer! Aiya... Lucky for me, I was ready from the beginning. Scroll down later to see what I had for breakfast & take-away. The polka dot jersey had to stop. He's out of wind. What a pity. It's supposed to be enjoyable. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. Who am I to judge.

The ugly:
It was a mess.
Riders were separated like goats droppings. My friend felt like going home. What's the real purpose. It got defeated. Was it the objective of the ride? Ask yourself. Overall, my feelings are all mixed up like "rojak" I felt good, felt bad & it kept me wondering...quite a bit.



ETD: 9:00am Masjid BBB - ETA: 12:50pm Home BBB = 3hr 50 min
Rest 1 hour
Total cycling time = 2hr 50 min
3 pcs white bread-210 kcal + 2 slices cheese-210 kcal + 2 bananas-144 kcal + 1 cup MILO-200 kcal
2 pcs white bread-140 kcal + 1 slices cheese-110 kcal
Calories intake, Breakfast & Rest area = 1014 kcal
Calories Burned = 2567 kcal
*Didn't take the Powerbar nor the Quaker Chewy
Average Heartbeat = 138 BPM

9 comments:

azizan abd aziz said...

It's always end up like a race...Hmmm...Luckily it's not my cup of tea...I just enjoy cycling to to work:-)

Azam said...

kerana nila setitik, rusak susu sebelanga...
bolehle makan yoghurt!

topui said...

Brader Man, shudnt it be 010109 ?? ..yeap it was indeed a race..end up cycling by myself..somewhere in the middle of the mess..neither fast nor slow..manman kayuh..

Man CIOCC said...

Thanks Topui,
Dah amended. Fast forward gile...

Ahmad Fairuz B. Abdul Aziz said...

abang man. pembetulan. apai tak cramp la panjat de' palma. abang ajis was all alone. apai cramp depan sikit. ahahahahaha.... malu oooo cakap cramp dekat bukit tunggek tu.

Man CIOCC said...

As requested, dah buat pembetulan...
Apai got infected too...50 metres later.

zackgrafik said...

Susah nk ckp klu buat funride ni man..

Sbb dlm group tu ade mcm2 org.. dari beginner sampai state riders! bagi beginner 20km/h dah laju dah tu, tapi bagi pro rider 40km/h tu baru warmup speed..

Apa2pun aku enjoy dpt experience ikut 1st peloton biarpun utk seketika.. walaupun dorang tarik sampai 50km/h tapi x terasa cam pushing 2 da limit, mgkn sbb kesan drafting yg bagus..

X sabo nk merempit lagi.. x pueh ati bile sham dewa kalahkan aku kat putrajaya... huhuhu

Daoh Darko said...

Kalau saya tau, saya duduk rumah besarkan telur... haha!

Tapi kalau tak try tak tau. Saya rasa bila dah 2nd stop nak start balik, saya dah bonked. Panas and dehydrated. I was the last person in the ride. Really the last person. Rasa bila dah everyone going fast, you would feel of doing it even faster.

Until that last Bangi stretch i managed to cut a few riders.

I think this is how it feels being in a competitive ride. I'm not complaining, seriously kalau tak try tak tau. Tapi after what happened, this is not my cup of tea.

Bila nak organise touring pulak? Haha! Azam tahun baru, at least nak 2 kali touring.

Untuk semua especially Abang Man, selamat tahun baru. May we ride through the year with less heads and more tail winds!

Man CIOCC said...

Ya, Selamat Tahun Baharu pada kengkawan rider semua.

Terima kaseh daun getah pada semua yang turut menjayakan aktibiti dan semoga melekatlah tabiat yang bagus ini. Jadi bertambah ramailah gerombolan manusia yang ingin menyehatkan tuboh badan.

Jangan jadi ubi kentang kerusi malas.